Axioms for reading a landscape

For the past year and a half, I've been working on a durational installation-based poetry project, called Interview with a river.

it draws on my experience with installation-based practices, is influenced by my training in critical geography, and engages with field-based practices.

for this particular installation, i tied three geography texts to a cedar tree facing the river, and am tracking how the river ecosystem interprets (changes, influences, adapts) the writing of these texts.

The texts include:
Lewis, Peirce. "Axioms for reading the landscape." The interpretation of ordinary landscapes 23 (1979): 167-187, a classic and influential (and also problematic) geography text.

Mitchell, Don. "New axioms for reading the landscape: paying attention to political economy and social justice." In Political economies of landscape change, pp. 29-50. Springer, Dordrecht, 2008, an important response to Pierce’s earlier Axioms.

Phillips, Jonathan D. "Place formation and axioms for reading the natural landscape." Progress in Physical Geography: Earth and Environment 42, no. 6 (2018): 697-720. I have no context to gauge its influence. We read landscape through our own disciplinary, social contexts.


I am also writing my own 'axioms', number three of which is:

map lines, traces, patterns. note the limitations of the visual.
avoid settler stories and the stasis of archives.
(maps are power.)


My thanks to the Canada Council of the Arts for funding to support this project.

Comments

randyorton said…
Best Landscape Company I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much.
mexwell said…
Drainage experts Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome!
Anonymous said…
Wanna VitSee from a NDEr??
Follow me to Heaven again!!!
We can, for time without end,
write oemnillions X oemnillions
X oemnillions X oemnillions...
(<- which's 000 less than infinity);
we may explore the universe
then return to our B.O.M.M.
(<- Big Ol Majestic Mansion)
2RITE zillionzNzillionz moe, Curly,
and other most-guroovy-desires:
♡♡♡ nrg2xtc.blogspot.com ♡♡♡
...and when I tokbout how2achieve
Heaven in a raw, rowdy, roadkill
reality (I have seen the OtherSide),
moe-offen-than-not, 'artists' are
looked upon as being 'Hoi Polloi'
(Greek: unwashed masses)!!! Ha.
God doesnt see us that way:
sHe loves art; in fact, the whole
universe's filled withe most wild,
ephemeral, magnificent art4eva.
Love you. Cya soon. be@peace!!
Anonymous said…
High! Im a Near Death Experiencer!
(just Google 'NDEr experiences')
I learned a lot Upstairs, thus, what
we must avoid ~IF~ we're gonna
inherit eternal Seventh-Heaven.
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
I hope YOU make the choice
to ascend, doll, where I will
personally lavish everything
on you for eternity, gorgeous -
evenUgettn the pilot's seat as
we fly around the universe to
discover subjects for our RITEn.
HintHint NudgeNudge PokePoke
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
《AbstractVocabulary.blogspot.com》
Anonymous said…
God isn't a religion.
God's a relationship.
-Jesus
+♥︎+
AbstractVocabulary.blogspot.com
JMJ + SOS
---------->
'She's more
Mother than
queen'
-St. Thérèsa

Popular Posts