Text/ile Project: Stitch. Breathe.



In November I began a mentorship with Judy Martin, thanks to CSARN (Canadian Senior Artists Network). I have wanted to work with Judy for a very long time. During the almost 20 years I have known of her and her work, and lived not that far from her, I only managed to attend one workshop - in Kingston while working on my PhD. But now I have three hours a month for a year.

She is helping me tease out the threads of ideas that simply started with a desire to explore text and textile. Asking questions that help me articulate and find the structure, the pieces, the expression of what will be an installation-based project.



So far I can report that I have:

- developed a much needed callous on my right hand index finger (which greatly improves the experience of stitching)
- learned new stitches and am experiencing the stitch as breath
- explored how to proceed 'slowly with urgency'
- accepted I don't have to have the answer to 'why'
- embraced a 'selfish' hold on the few moments of each day i have to be creative

I still have moments -- the last few days before I turn 50 -- when I can't breathe as I look back at the years in which I did other things, and emptied myself.

Remember:

Many women begin later in life.

Stitch. Breathe. Stitch. Breathe.

Comments

Popular Posts